The Harvard Club of India is the representative group for all Harvard University Alumni as well as faculty/ fellows/ researchers and all other affiliates of Harvard University residing in India. We cherish and hold dear the rich intellectual experience we experienced at Harvard University, and strive to recreate a similar enriching environment for our members in India. To this end, the Harvard Club of India serves as a focal point for Harvard University-related activities in India.
Founded in 1994 by a group of Harvard alumni based in Delhi, the Harvard Club of India is a Registered Society in India under the Societies Registration Act, 1860. Its founding members included Mr. Ranji Bhandari (Founding President), Mr. Amit Chadha (Secretary), Mrs Prama Bhandari, Dr. Moti Lal Jain, Prof. Jaideep Singh, Mrs. Pinky Anand among others. The then-President of India, Mr. Shankar Dayal Sharma, facilitated the founders of the Club at the time for the formation of the alumni Club in India.
In recent years, the concerted effort of many forward-thinking alumni has led to the institutionalization of the Club as a proper, democratically run-institution. Elections are held every two years. Technology has been used to expand the membership base of the Club. As part of a big emphasis on ensuring outreach to alumni from all the schools at Harvard University in India, in 2016, the Club’s Executive Committee appointed School and City Liaisons representing about 10 schools at Harvard and 8 different cities in India.
The Club hosts events almost every month, including:
- Social events, such as the Global Networking Night and the One Harvard Young Harvard event for alumni, current students and incoming students
- Professional events with Industry Associations (such as FICCI, ASSOCHAM and the Government of India)
- Intimate, members-only events with distinguished alumni such as the Tibetan Prime Minister, Lobsang Sangay, and the Minister of State for Finance, Mr Jayant Sinha
- Conferences such as the first Harvard Entrepreneurship Summit featuring Harvard alums who have become successful entrepreneurs across various fields in India.
- Cultural Events such as Heritage Walks in Old Delhi, Dehradun Literature Festival, Qawwali nights, and Art and Food-related events
- Academic Events, including events with visiting Faculty from Harvard University and other top universities in India and the world
Over the next few years, our programs will continue to expand, with conferences on Education and Public Health planned, the first Harvard India Conference to be held in India as well as Skill-Building Workshops where alumni will lead workshops to impart skills to fellow alums. We are also launching a Mentorship Program, along the lines of similar programs being run by other Harvard alumni groups in Asia.
Going forward, the Club is focused on engaging closely with the Central Government as well as the State-Level Governments in India to help provide policy inputs in areas where alumni (or even Harvard faculty or research centers such as the South Asia Institute) have significant experience and expertise. In addition, we are expanding our institutional ties with cultural centers, high schools, as well as NGOs to deepen our ties with the community in India and expand the range of community development efforts especially in the areas of education, public health, cleanliness and sanitation. We are also excited to host the next HAA Regional Leadership Conference in Delhi in March 2018.
If you are a Harvard affiliate and wish to become a member, do reach out to us, and get involved with the Club.
Harvard Club of India